Friday, April 6, 2012

The British Mod Coat-Dress That Snagged Me A Husband


Doing it up "Proper" in 1973

1968: I remember hippies passing through town in “Make Love, Not War” t-shirts, peace sign-wearing draft dodgers strumming guitar in our living room, and the chaos and exhilaration of a Mandala concert at our local “Y”. And I remember a phone call from a boy I’d never met, asking me if I was the girl in the coat that “looks like a barber shop pole.” I defended my red, white, and blue fashion statement with its bold centre-front zipper, but I gave the caller a chance. 

We talked for four hours and twenty minutes on the phone, and two weeks later when I agreed to meet this stranger who had stalked me at school, there was a great deal of speculation concerning what he looked like. On the appointed day, my little sister beat me to the front door, flung it wide open, and announced, “OOOH, He’s got freckles!”

The rude greeting didn’t deter him; in fact; that British Mod coat-dress, which my mother made to resemble one in Seventeen Magazine, snagged me a husband. We got 'hitched' at a Sadie Hawkins dance at school and hung on to the $5 marriage certificate and phony wedding band Jim bought, until we did it up proper five years later.

Today, we’re the proud parents of three grown children and although we’ve been through a lot together, inside I’m still the girl who was happy to get married at the Sadie Hawkins dance, in braids and a scratchy old potato sack.  


Connect with me on  Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the box at the right-hand side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment